Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chewy Toffee Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies




After seeing all the yummilicious posts from last year's great food blogger cookie swap hosted by Julie from The Little Kitchen  and Lindsay from Love & Olive Oil, I knew I wanted to participate this year. Click on these two links to check out the recipe round up from last year, part 1 and part 2.

I'm ecstatic because this year, participating in this fun cookie swap also benefited a great charity  We raised over $4,000 for Cookies for Kids' Cancer. OXO matched our donations and even mailed each participate a good cookie spatula (which I was very surprised I got in the mail because I wasn't expecting it). It's one of those sweet unexpected gestures that made me smile.

The cookies were definitely fun to make and receive but my favorite part was the networking. Through participating,  I was able to discover new blogs I would not have had the fortune of stumbling upon otherwise. I'm sure I will have a lot more fun in discovering new blogs once the recipe roundup posts are up. I'll update this post with those links when they become available. Instagram was also very fun, check out #fbcookieswap for some delicious pictures.

It feels like Christmas already because I'm already having so much fun reading posts and going on a Pinterest frenzy. Check out my cookie board here.

For the cookie swap, I baked up a batch of what I like to call "Chewy Toffee Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies." They are actually called "I Want to Marry You Cookies" because the recipe maker got a proposal with these cookies. You can find the original recipe and reviews here.

After a failed attempt at making brownie cookies, I went back to the virtual drawing board and the name of these cookies caught my attention first so I decided to give it a try. The result was deliciousness! They taste like coconut, toffee and chocolate. What's not to love? Clean up is also easy because everything happens in one pot! I already have plans to recreate this recipe by adding coconut flakes and walnuts.


Chewy Toffee Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yields 3 dozen cookies (depending on size)

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup uncooked rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chocolate chips



1.  Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Remove from heat and add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Stir until the whole mixture is incorporated and all the sugar has melted. This process gives the cookies a toffee flavor. Chill this mixture for 10 minutes.

2. Stir in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract when the mixture is cool.

3. Add the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon to the mixture.

4. Stir in both types of chocolate chips.

5. Line a baking sheet with foil. Using a 1 tablespoon spoon, roll into cookie dough balls and place closely on the baking sheet.

6. Chill for about 30 minutes in the freezer.

7. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the cookie dough balls and make for about 15-17 minutes. They won't look like they are done fresh out of the oven but when you let it cool for about 5-10 minutes, the cookies will be perfect and chewy.

I hope you enjoyed this post, I had a lot of fun baking and sending out my cookies. Waiting for cookies to arrive was also very fun and delicious!


Betsy from BetsyLife sent me some really delicious Lemon Creme Sandwich cookies.
I got some really yummy Maple Pecan Toffee Cookies from Cathy at Savory Notes.
Last but not least, I received some candy cane puffs from Teri at The Freshman Cook.

I sent cookies to Julie from Peanut Butter Fingers, Jessica from Little House Big Heart, and Emily from Pink Tiger in the Kitchen .

If you are interested in participating next year head over to this page and add yourself so that you will be notified when the cookie swap happens again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment